Thursday, September 18, 2008

LAUNCH, LAUNCH..... LIFTOFF

Last night was a whirlwind of fashion shows and launches. First on my agenda was the launch of Tracy Mc Greggor's new line of dresses at Blue Bay - I have to be honest - I hated her line! It was clearly a thoughtless publicity stunt. Her dresses were run of the mill, very corny, out-dated and extremely over priced ! She only had plus/minus five dresses in her collection and if I could describe them I would say they are like the most generic dresses you could find at YDE. I must admit she looked great in one of them - models look great in anything though- but that was as far as it goes! They were not trendy or classic and boasted no design talent at all. Sorry Tracy but snake skin, and stretchy sequined bands are very last, last, last season!

So next Tarryn (aka my best friend and the fashion assistant at Marie Claire) and I zooted off to the Old Biscuit Mill for Sanlam Fashion Week Cape Town. There were three designers showcasing their collections- Miss Scarlet, I love Leroy and Two. Again I hate to be a cynic but i was not that impressed with Miss Scarlet or two.They were very boring and extremely boring featuring capre pants, cardigans,50's inspired three quarter skirts but with very little detailing or texture.

I did heart I love Leroy however- which had some amazing high waisted shirts and blouses. The outfits that stood out the most to me were some amazing vintage costumes with geometric prints and frills, and a high waisted pink skirt with ruffles, covered buttons and bow detailing.

Next was the exciting part - The Malcolm Kluk show! It was SENSATIONAL- his whole theme was like a fairy tale,1950's tea party! The dresses were absolutely breathtaking - never a shock coming from him. His use of textures and 3-D flowers was divine. He used brocade, florals, sheer, frills and chunky, roped diamante necklaces and detailed waist belts. The models had their hair teased back into messy B-hives with thin head bands and big fake flowers detailing around the head- it was so beautiful! My favourite dresses were:

A fully beaded coral, blue, red and gold bodice with a yellow massive layered, meringue skirt..

Then a yellow retro inspired, 60's floral print party-gown with a sash coming up from the waist line across the shoulder with diamante detailing on the waist. Phenomenal!

My hat goes off to the Kluk team for an effortlessly chic collection and event!

Tonight I head back to Sanlam Fashion week where I hope to be pleasantly inspired! so until then
xoxo

No comments: